Pages

Friday, January 30, 2009

Mentoring

I got a message today and it went something like this: Have you ever mentored anyone before?

Now, this question can go two ways.

1. Can you tell me HOW to mentor?

2. Can you mentor me?

Anyhow, my answer was candid. 'Haha! Yes and no. I never realized that I was doing it. Why?'

It was reason no. 2. This one is more intimidating. No. 1 I can always buy a book and hand it to the person. =)

I already know my response, even if it is intimidating (for me). I just wondered (and still do) if I am the right person. Someone once taught that, in mentoring, it is normally the mentor who approaches the mentee. The mentor selects. Just as Jesus selected. Now, I had long selected this one. I just thought I'd do my normal 'there, not there' (goodness, am sounding like Ivan!), 'keep an eye on' routine. Hence my 'Yes and no' answer. I do it without being accountable. Also, I thought the chemistry/affinity might be better with another leader, and not me.

And so, I've got myself an official mentee. Nope, not going to churn out a younger Melissa. Haha! That would be devastating! Trust me, it would be. =) So Lord, You gotta guide me here. So that this little one will be guided and encouraged to love and know YOU more. To be like Jesus more. To know His will. And to be faithful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha, must train your mentee in all the things u noe one oh, including baking!!!!